Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hair Loss

Today I had a small shock when, after my shower, I noticed there was so much hair blocking the drain that it took a few minutes for the water to disappear. Even when I had long hair, that never happened unless the drain was actually clogged.

Last weekend, I went to a pricey hair salon to have my hair cut very short for the first time in my life. I was nervous, because I always suspected that I would look like a boy with such a cut, but it turned out fine. My hair is now shag-carpet length in the back, stopping at the top of my neck. It's down to my chin in the front, with longish layers framing my face. It's quite a stylish cut.

Before the cut, my hair was super-thick and long, a few inches below my shoulders. I thought it would be too shocking (as well as messy) to have such long hair falling out, and I guess I was right. At least 4/5 of the volume was already cut away, so I can't imagine the hugeness of the hairball that would have been blocking my drain had I not had the haircut. Even with short hair, it was still a shock.

Luckily, having thick hair means that it might take at least a few weeks for it all to fall out. Looking in the mirror today, my hair doesn't look all that different. I read somewhere that the hair on my head will go first, then the eyebrows and the rest of my body. I'll be like a shorn sheep in a month or two. My insurance will pay for a wig, so I'll probably corral some girlfriends into coming with me on a wig-shopping expedition, followed by tea and cake at Taart van Mijn Tante -- a novel way to spend a Saturday afternoon in Amsterdam.

As I write this, I wonder if there would a market for a deck of cards called "52 Ways to Have Fun with Cancer". Decorate crackers with Cheeze Whiz smiley faces! For those days when you are too nauseous to eat anything else. Make art installations with all your hair that falls out! Cancer's a great opportunity to develop your creativity. Try tossing your pills in the air and catching them in your mouth! It's an exercise you can even do in bed.

3 down, only 49 more cards to think up.

No comments:

Post a Comment