Friday, May 22, 2009

Treatment Against Nausea

Here's the advice I've collected on the internet against GERD so far:

Avoid anything carbonated or effervescent. [Note: There is a lot of contradictory information out there about carbonation. My doctor recommended that I try original Coke. But both days that I actually drank a Coke (Day 1 and Day 7), I vomited. I've also been recommended to drink ginger ale and ginger beer for nausea.]

Eat bland food.

Avoid dairy products, sugar, fat, and spices.

Prop up the head of the bed 6 inches, or sleep in a recliner.

Cut HALF a banana, mash it, and eat it, chewing slowly.

Sip room temperature water to dilute the acid.

Wear loose-fitting clothes.

Avoid lying down for 3 hours after a meal.

Avoid citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruits, tomatoes, and cranberries.

Avoid caffeine in all forms.

Don’t overeat.

Yesterday, I had eaten a late lunch of Dutch pancakes with bacon, apple, and syrup along with a Coca-Cola. We then biked to a cafe outside of town where I shared an apple pie with whipped cream and a Bitter Lemon. At dinner, I had a mango juice and shoarma smothered with a mix of garlic sauce, hot sauce, and mild salsa. At the bar afterwards, I had a bottle of cranberry juice.

In other words, I had broken almost every rule above and am now paying the price. When I came home, I felt awful. I vomited around 2am, and again around 4am, and didn't feel better even after that, though I had nothing left in my stomach to eject. I spent almost all day today collapsed on the couch marathoning 30 Rock episodes, it's almost midnight, and I still feel nauseous. I'm actually afraid to lie down.

I feel like I'm Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, doomed to repeat the same day again and again, until I figure out how to do it right. Now I am in Cycle 3 of 8 and I've figure out how to manage or eliminate constipation, mouth sores, neuropathy, and hair loss. But I'm still struggling with nausea and vomiting.

So far, I've tried all of the following, with no noticeable improvement and some uncomfortable side effects:

Granisetron (Kytril), only prescribed for the first 3 days and hasn't stopped me from vomiting on the first day of each cycle
Zantac (H2-receptor antagonist)
Maalox (antacid)
Pantecta (a PPI), strong side effect of heart palpitations
metoclopramide, strong side effect of dizziness and drowsiness
sativa marijuana, strong side effect of dizziness
original Coke
ginger beer
HCl Plus

My doctor thinks the problem is GERD. For a brief while, I thought the problem was not enough stomach acid. But now I'm wondering whether the problem is dyspepsia -- simple indigestion. I don't have heartburn and only once in a while do I taste stomach acid in my throat, but that's always due to burping. Burping is my biggest symptom and that seems to be caused primarily by excess gas in the stomach, not a weakness of the muscle that separates the stomach from the esophagus.

According to Wikipedia, clinical trials show that antacids and H2-receptor antagonists like Zantac have little to no effectiveness against dyspepsia when compared to placebo. Also very interestingly, metoclopramide, which my doctor prescribed, has also been shown to be ineffective.

The same Wiki article stated that a herbal remedy called Iberogast and PPIs have been proven to work. So next I'll try the Iberogast and ask my doctor to prescribe another PPI besides Pantecta.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
UPDATE: well, I tried the Iberogast. A little bottle sells here for about 15 euros, and I'm supposed to take 20 drops three times a day. The taste is somewhat awful, and I didn't notice a difference after taking it once. I stopped taking it, because the burping has gotten somewhat more tolerable now that I'm on Day 11 of this cycle. I saw today that another blogger (Carrie's NHL Blog) wrote that nausea wasn't a big problem for her: "Zofran, Compazine and Ativan work great and, when I just need a little something, I take 500 mg – 1000 mg of ginger." So I plan to do some further investigation of this option before my next consult.

No comments:

Post a Comment