Monday, May 11, 2009

Treatment Against Cough

I've had this @#$%ing cold since the week of March 1.

I can't get rid of it, because every time it's about to go away, I enter into the phase of my chemo cycle where my white blood cell count heads south and then of course my cold viruses figure the parents are out of the house and it's time to PARTY!

As I figure that I'm going to end up with terrible cold symptoms every 3 weeks until September, I've been doing my best to alleviate the cough and congestion via these techinques, gathered primarily from web research:

1) alternating peppermint tea with a tea made from ginger, lemon, honey, and a couple of shakes of cayenne pepper

2) a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a steaming hot shower

3) wearing a hat, gloves, and socks around the apartment

4) dosing with Nyquil (though I'm going to switch to prescription codeine as soon as I can) at night so that I can quiet the cough enough to sleep

5) drinking liters of water and barley tea

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
UPDATE: it's now Day 10 of Cycle 3 -- no more cough!!! It's a miracle! I'm now just crossing my fingers that it won't come back on Day 13, which is when my cough usually got much worse during my first two cycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment