Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Silver Linings

Despite the fact that I'm voluntarily streaming poison into my body every three weeks, in some ways, I feel healthier than I have in years. I have greatly improved my diet. I sleep more. I am less stressed because I have fewer urgent projects on my plate, and I don't have to go into the office.

I've learned a lot about my body and how to take care of it, that will be useful to me, and maybe also to my friends and family, after my treatment is finished.

I learned that I'm tougher and more disciplined than I thought. In a short period of time, I was able to give up coffee and alcohol, as well as drastically cut down on sugar.

I learned how deeply my friends, family, and even colleagues care about me.

I have reconnected and have gotten closer to some friends as a result.

I've gotten extra 1-1 time with my mother and my brothers, that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I'm more empathetic when I hear about the troubles of others, whether it's a death in the family or a health problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment