Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Supplements

A friend who survived breast cancer recommended taking glutamine preventively for neuropathy. It seems like it could also work for alleviating my digestive issues, which are persisting now through this cycle (Cycle 4) mostly in the form of burping and reflux. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine. Surprisingly, this wiki article didn't even mention neuropathy. But maybe I'll end up with muscles like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, since it's used by bodybuilders to build muscle. And I'll be chuffed if it helps with my memory, since I've had problems with memory all my life.

My nutritionist friend told me that melatonin might help generally against garden-variety reflux and might even have some effect against cancer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin. I take 3 mg now before I sleep. It's super-easy to take. The pills are tiny and they melt under my tongue.

I also went to an acupuncturist. She poked some needles in my stomach, gave me 3 bags of round pellets that resemble cat food, and charged me 89 euros. I'm supposed to take 13 pellets at each meal. They are very hard to swallow, and keep getting stuck in my windpipe. I was only able to stick to this for one day; then I lost interest in complying, especially as I didn't notice any dramatic difference in my stomach problems. The acupuncturist also told me that I have a 'cold' disorder, which means that I should only eat hot foods and drink hot drinks. Also, she thinks that I don't ingest enough protein or iron.

The last new treatment add-on is an ayurvedic masseuse. She comes to my apartment once a week and charges about 35 euros for the hour. She doesn't claim that she can do anything about my cancer or side effects, but it's a good way to relax and even meditate a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment